Friday, May 06, 2005

That Meme - I agree...

I've not been passed the baton on the latest meme (List five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group are wild about, but you can't really understand the fuss over.), and don't have Lauren's excuse (she's a youngest daughter) stealing it, so rather than do it myself (until it's passed on to me *hint-hint*) I'm confining myself to picking out those things on other people's lists that I'd be inclined to put on my own:
Don Jim Tucker mentions Pop Celebrities. I totally agree - I fail to see the fascination with the private life of 'celebrities' and am very poor at recognising actors. I don't know how many times I've had a conversations like this:
So what do you think of Slye Shady?
-Who?
Slye Shady, you know Deathcop 5, A Bridge Beyond Yesterday...
-No... I don't think I've seen him in anything.
Her.
-Oh, okay... I don't think I've seen her in anything.
You must have - what about Star Jaunt?
-Nope.
Creepfest 13?
*Shakes head*
You must know her - she's dating the Bolivian Polo international Raoul Fernandez. She gave birth to Brad Brannigan's child last year and used to be married to the rapper AK-20.
*Eyes glaze over*
In that vein I don't actually know enough about Micheal Moore to actively dislike him, but like Don Jim I'm puzzled by the whole dancing thing as well - I can waltz just about enough to prevent myself from being a total misfit, but I've never seen the appeal of discoes. Were I Pope, I'd devote my 2nd encylical to declaring most forms of reality television intrinsically evil. Sure, it'd be an abuse of the Magisterium, but...
I'm with Lauren on the whole College Parties/Getting Drunk thing. I'm not a puritan, but I've seen enough people do more than enough stupid/dangerous/nasty/hurtful things whilst under the influence to be sanguine about alcohol abuse. I also hate loud and rowdy parties and large groups of people trying to have 'fun'. I much prefer smaller groups in quiet places (where one doesn't have to shout) making intelligent (or not so intelligent) conversation over a cup of tea/coffee (or something stronger for those who can enjoy in moderation). I also like the fact that Italy offers so many places where one can cheaply and pleasantly dine with friends. I'm not keen on Franciscans either. (I've never seen Pirates of the Carribean and have only the vaguest notion of who Johnny Depp might be.)
The Old Oligarch weighs in against sport and I'm inclined to agree. There are some amateur sports I'd take an interest in and I have a certain (occasionally financial) interest in horse-racing, but otherwise I'm puzzled by their appeal. I also agree with him on the whole Summer issue. Things are just starting to heat up here in Rome and I know that within a couple of weeks I'm going to find the temperature and the sunshine (fair skin!!!) unbearable. It also provokes the worst from a fashion point of view - so many people's choice of clothing ends up crossing the ethical and/or aesthetical line. I find a fresh winter morning bracing, snow is fun, spring and autumn are pleasant, rain clears the air and I'm not averse to a little sunshine. But now that I like in a country where there is a real summer, I've come to the conclusion that I don't like it.

No comments: