Sunday, November 20, 2005

Pope Joan...


One of the pieces of 'supporting evidence' given to support the theory there was a Pope Joan is the claim of having seen her statue in St Peter's. I'd always presumed that the reference was to an allegorical figure on one of the tombs of a Pope, so I was surprised to only notice this huge statue (presumably an allegorial representation of the Papacy) to the right of the main entrance to the basilica. I must have walked past it DOZENS of times without noticing it.
Another Protestant claim about Rome is having seen a cross with Mary on it rather than Jesus. There's actually a grain of truth (only a grain!) to that - more info when I have a picture of it.

1 comment:

JTheAngelic said...

Zadok:

Good day! I sent you an email about this photo of Pope Joan you had on your blog back in 2005, I sent it to you over a couple weeks ago in mid-August 2020, and then a follow-up, but haven't heard back. Did you receive my emails? Thank you!

Best,

Patrick A.