Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Anglican Vesture Question...

Reading a 19th century novel recently I came across a reference to an Anglican bishop wearing an 'apron'. I've tried to establish what this might mean exactly and have come up with the following
Brewer says: Bishop's Apron represents the short cassock which, by the 74th canon, all clergymen were enjoined to wear.
Here I read: 'It was in the form of that sleeveless cassock of purple, opening at the side, whose lower flap is called a bishop's apron; the corner of the frogged coat showed behind the chair-back, and the sash lay crumpled on the floor.'
That's all very well, but I'm not quite sure I understand or can imagine what the apron is. Could anyone explain more clearly or point me to a picture of a bishop in his apron?

No comments: