Monday, October 24, 2005

Stuart Question...



I know that monarchists and the like are not unknown in the Catholic blogosphere. Perhaps one of you could answer a question. These pictures (click to enlarge) are of a funerary monument from the church of San Lorenzo in Lucina, here in Rome. The deceased seems to be claiming to be the last of the Stuarts. Now, I've had a look at a few Stuart geneologies on the web and can find no trace of him. Now, my (possibly faulty) reading of the Latin leaves open the interpretation that he was part of a minor branch of the family. Anyone know any more about this Charles Stuart? Any comments about the coat of arms on the monument?
[Edited to add:
D'oh! Per Gary in the comments box, I was misreading the inscription.
I'll resist the temptation to delete this post and will live it as a monument to my more-than-occasional stupidity.
Needless to say, I was reading the word 'reges' as being a form of 'rex'. But if it were, it would have been in the plural nominative, vocative or accusative, which doesn't fit.
*Returns to Latin class*]

No comments: