Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Further info from my readers...

Following on yesterday's post which provided some more info about the burials of Bl. Pius IX and Pope Leo XIII, I've learned a little more. A Kenneth Lieblich informs me:
Apparently, San Lorenzo was Pius IX's favourite church and his will
specified that he be buried there. The mosaics on the wall of the chapel
where he lies (I've seen it too) depict the two dogmas that he solemnly
defined: Our Lady's Immaculate Conception and Papal Infallibility.
Incidentally, the mob that tried to fling his corpus into the Tiber were
Freemasons.
And on the subject of Leo XIII, a seminarian from here in Rome tells me:
It is said that one of the reasons that Leo XIII asked to be buried to the left of the Apse in the Lateran is the fact that Innocent III is buried to the right of the Apse. Leo had a great admiration for Innocent who did much to increase the power and prestige of the Church.

No comments: